logo



The Latest: Multiple pipe bombs mailed to politicians, media offices

Associated Press • Updated Oct 24, 2018 at 4:38 PM

WASHINGTON — Here’s what we know so far about the suspicious packages reported around the country:

Possible explosive devices addressed to Clinton, Obama

The U.S. Secret Service says agents have intercepted packages containing “possible explosive devices” addressed to former President Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton.

The agency says neither Clinton nor Obama received the packages, and neither was at risk of receiving them because of screening procedures.

It says the devices were discovered late Tuesday and early Wednesday.

A U.S. official tells The Associated Press that a “functional explosive device” was found during screening at Bill and Hillary Clintons’ suburban New York home.

The official says investigators believe the explosive is linked to one found Monday at the compound of liberal billionaire George Soros.

The Secret Service says a second package was addressed to Obama and was intercepted in Washington.

Hillary Clinton not in NY; package did not arrive at home

Hillary Clinton was campaigning for Democrats in Florida and wasn’t at the family’s suburban New York residence when a suspicious package addressed to her was seized by the Secret Service.

Former President Bill Clinton was at the family’s Chappaqua, New York, home when the package was intercepted at a Westchester County, N.Y., facility. That’s according to a person familiar with his schedule who spoke on condition of anonymity and wasn’t authorized to speak publicly.

The person says the device was screened at the Westchester facility and never reached the Clintons’ home.

The Secret Service says the package was identified during routine mail screening procedures and the Clintons weren’t at risk of receiving it.

Clinton says at a Florida fundraiser that “we are fine” and is thanking the U.S. Secret Service for intercepting an explosive device in a package “long before it made its way to our home.”

Clinton was speaking at a Coral Gables fundraiser for Democratic congressional candidate Donna Shalala, a former health and human services secretary.

The former secretary of state says her family is grateful for the Secret Service’s “service and commitment and obviously never more than today.”

CNN evacuated

CNN says its offices in Manhattan have been evacuated because of a suspicious package.

The news network reported on Wednesday morning that a police bomb squad was at its offices.

Law enforcement officials say the CNN package was discovered in the mail room. The officials said the CNN bomb was crude but operational and was addressed to former CIA Director John Brennan, who appears on air on other broadcast and cable outlets.

New York City’s police commissioner says the package sent to CNN’s offices contained what appeared to be a live explosive and an envelope containing white powder.

Device at DNC head’s offices

In Florida, the Broward Sheriff’s Office is using a bomb squad robot in the investigation of a suspicious package at the office of Rep. Deborah Wasserman Schultz, the former chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee.

Police are also investigating the suspicious package near Wasserman Schultz’s office on the Sawgrass Corporate Parkway in Sunrise, which is near Fort Lauderdale.

The congresswoman was in Coral Gables, along with Hillary Clinton, at a campaign event for Donna Shalala on Wednesday morning.

Miami FBI spokesman Mike Leverock says the agency is aware that a suspicious package was mailed to Wasserman Schultz’ office in Sunrise and agents are on the scene.

Similar devices

NYPD’s chief of counterterrorism says the explosive device sent to CNN’s headquarters in New York appeared to be sent by the same person who mailed pipe bombs to George Soros, Hillary Clinton and former President Barack Obama.

John Miller and FBI officials said a news conference the devices all appeared to be crude pipe bombs. The New York device was black and had wires.

Miller says it started on Monday night with the device sent to Soros. He says they’re looking at the devices as a pattern, and they have not made any arrests.

No one was injured by any of the devices.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo said during the new conference he would not be surprised if more devices were uncovered. He said his office received one and it was being dealt with.

White House condemns ‘terrorizing acts’

The White House is condemning attempted attacks made against former President Barack Obama, former President Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton.

White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders says in a statement Wednesday: “These terrorizing acts are despicable, and anyone responsible will be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law.” She adds: “The United States Secret Service and other law enforcement agencies are investigating and will take all appropriate actions to protect anyone threatened by these cowards.”

Vice President Mike Pence is condemning “attempted attacks” against former President Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and CNN.

Pence tweeted Wednesday: “These cowardly actions are despicable & have no place in this Country.”

He thanked law enforcement and added: “Those responsible will be brought to justice.”

First lady Melania Trump is condemning “all forms of threats and violence” after explosive devices were sent to the homes of Hillary Clinton and former President Barack Obama and CNN in New York.

The first lady’s office says in a statement that, “Mrs. Trump condemns all forms of threats and violence” and “thanks law enforcement for their heroic efforts.”

Congressional leaders call for justice

House Republican leaders say that the person or people who sent explosives to the homes of Hillary Clinton and former President Barack Obama should be brought to justice.

House Speaker Paul Ryan said they were “reprehensible acts” and “we cannot tolerate any attempt to terrorize public figures.”

The U.S. Secret Service said Wednesday that it intercepted a bomb that was addressed to Clinton and also discovered a possible explosive sent to Obama.

Louisiana Rep. Steve Scalise, the No. 3 Republican in the House, said “this is a dangerous path and it cannot become the new normal.” He said the attempted attacks are “pure terror.”

Scalise survived life-threatening injuries after he was shot at a congressional baseball practice in 2017. He tweeted that he’s experienced “first-hand the effects of political violence.”

Johnson City Press Videos