• Start the new year off with comfort, cocoa and a good book. The Johnson City Public Library’s second Evening of Hygge will warm up the library, 100 W. Millard St., Wednesday starting at 6 p.m. The library will provide cocoa, a selection of books and a brief exercise for reflection and developing meaningful intentions for the future. Cozy blankets and soft PJs are welcome.
• Memorial Park Community Center, 510 Bert St., will be filling the indoor pool with glow sticks from 7-8:45 p.m. on Friday. Admission is $2 for children 12-under and $3 for 13-older. All ages are welcome, and children 6 and younger must be accompanied by a guardian at all times. No reservations are required.
• Learn more about our scaly friends at Bays Mountain Park and Planetarium, 853 Bays Mountain Park Road, through a public snake class Saturday at 1 p.m. The class will cover the snakes that live at the park and their habitats, diets, life cycles, breeding and specific behavior along with how to identify our native snakes. Classes are free for park members and $3 general admission. Purchase tickets in the park gift shop.
• Morningstar Flute Ensemble Trio will present their rescheduled Christmas concert 3 p.m. on Sunday, at the First Broad Street United Methodist Church, 100 E. Broad St. The public is invited to this free concert and reception.
• Jonesborough Barrel House, 119 E. Main St., hosts a tea time social every Thursday from 3:30-4:30 p.m. Enjoy a variety of hot teas and bite-size desserts for $9.95 per person.
• Main Street Cafe and Catering, 117 W Main St., will have a five-course dinner complete with wine pairings Friday from 6-9 p.m. Reservations are $55 per person (not including tip) and can be made by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 753-0353.