logo


no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: February 14

Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press • Feb 14, 2020 at 4:45 AM

Feb. 14, 1867: Tipton Jobe deeded a parcel of land on the hill above Nobb Spring containing 2 acres and 56 perches leaving an alley 15-feet wide next to Dr. J.M. Seehorn’s lot to be used for educational and church purposes forever.

Feb. 14, 1895: John B. Smith, a merchant of Watauga, had been arrested and arraigned in Johnson City before United States Commissioner Mathes on the charge of sending letters through the mails containing lewd and obscene language, which was a violation of postal regulations. Smith was bound over to federal court under $500 bond. The letters had been mailed to a Johnson City young lady but had been intercepted by her father and brother.

Feb. 14, 1945: The “Go-To-Church Campaign” had opened and would continue through Lent. The Johnson City Ministerial Association was sponsoring the campaign. About 35 local churches would participate in the crusade. During the six weeks of Lent, various ministers from different denominations would contribute newsworthy items, all of which would serve to explain various features about the Lenten season.

Feb. 14, 1958: The Johnson City Press-Chronicle published a photo of West Side School first-graders Jimmy Hall and Patsy Hardin holding hands for Valentine’s Day.

Feb. 14, 1966: The East Tennessee State Buccaneers pushed over the century mark in pulling a mild Ohio Valley Conference upset over Murray State, 104-94. In chalking up its third victory in the conference that season, the ETSU squad got 25-plus point performances from three starters. Forward Tommy Woods and guard Bill Tipton each had 30, while Bill “Chief” Wilson had 25.

Feb. 14, 1977: Science Hill wrestlers Mike Kuziola and Buford Odom reached the quarterfinals of the TSSAA State Wrestling Meet in Nashville but lost their matches.

Feb. 14, 1995: Two Science Hill High School seniors were the city’s first students to sign school-to-work contracts that provided internships as they attended college. Dave Smith was working in the city’s engineering department while Chris Whitaker was working in the motor transport division.

Feb. 14, 2006: The Johnson City Regional Planning Commission approved use of an Urban Commercial Overlay District to alleviate zoning requirements for 48 West Walnut Street businesses that could not meet off-street parking requirements.

Sources: First Christian Church; The Comet; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Ted Bowers/Johnson City, Tennessee, Memories; Johnson City Press