no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: December 4

Rebecca Henderson and Johnson City Press • Dec 4, 2019 at 7:15 AM

Dec. 4, 1890: The managers of the East Tennessee & North Carolina Railroad had ordered 50 new cars. “This result has been largely if not entirely due to articles written by Col. H.E. Colton on the North Caroline magnetic ore beds, and published in the Tradesman,” The Comet reported. “The same articles have been a big factor in stimulating the building of the South Watauga Railroad that gives a short line to the ores … the existence of vast supplies of magnetites and hematites in upper East Tennessee and Western North Caroline has given the region a big boom ….”

Dec. 4, 1907: The Hippodrome Skating Rink was not to open until 8:30 p.m. after Wednesday prayer meetings.

Dec. 4, 1935: Johnson City’s Red Top Ales defeated Kingsport’s King Alleys in a three-game bowling match at Johnson City’s “purple knockers court” by 60 pins.

Dec. 4, 1955: The Sequoyah Council of the Boy Scouts of America met in Johnson City to elect officers. Johnson City’s Harry Faw was named treasurer.

Dec. 4, 2000: The Johnson City Board of Education named four semifinalists in the search for a new school superintendent to succeed the retiring Dr. Dan Russell. Among them was Alabama educator Dr. Toni Hughes McGriff, who the following year would become the first woman to hold the position.

Dec. 4, 2009: The annual Johnson City Christmas Parade moved through downtown. A police cruiser was parked too close to the tracks and was struck by a train before the parade started.

Sources: The Comet; Kingsport Times; Johnson City Press-Chronicle; Johnson City Press.