Oct. 23, 1890: The Proctor Land Company had closed the contract with Cook & Co. of New Jersey for the location of a large wood-working establishment in Johnson City. The plant was to be located in the Proctor Land Company's Addition on the line of the Three C's railroad.
Oct. 23, 1968: Dr. Delos P. Culp was inaugurated as East Tennessee State University’s fourth president at 10 a.m. in Alumni Memorial Hall. Culp was president during the establishment of the James H. Quillen College of Medicine. He retired in 1977 and served as president emeritus until his death on Oct. 20, 2000.
Oct. 23, 1985: East Tennessee State University began to celebrate its 75th birthday. President Ronald Reagan sent ETSU President Dr. Ronald Beller a congratulatory letter.
Oct. 23, 1994: Sawyer Brown, Toby Keith and David Ball played at Freedom Hall Civic Center.
Oct. 23, 2015: The auditorium in Stanton-Gerber Hall on the VA Campus was named for Nancy Brumit Stanton.
Sources: The Comet; ETSU; Bobbie H. Shirley, Freedom Hall; Nancy Stanton