logo


no avatar

Today in Johnson City History: December 24-25

Rebecca Henderson • Dec 24, 2018 at 7:45 AM

Dec. 24, 1907: On the day before Christmas/When the whole town was shopping/and firecrackers were popping/A well-known couple the broomstick was hopping. Just before noon at the Mountain View home of the bride, Miss Zenia Sanders and Mr. Jose Colon were united in marriage by Rev. B.B. Vaught. Only a few close friends were present and the happy young bridal couple were driven to the Southern and took No. 41 for an extended trip to points South. (Announcement in the Dec. 26 Comet)

Dec. 24, 1989: Sixteen people died in the tragic fire at the John Sevier Center.

Dec. 25, 1902: The Christmas Day edition of “The Comet” featured “professional cards” from several Johnson City physicians and attorneys, including attorney Thad A. Cox in the Eagle Building on Main Street. Cox would go on to become a judge and build the Oaks Castle off South Roan Street.

Dec. 25, 1951: JoAnn’s Store at 234 E. Main St. sponsored a "Come to Church on Christmas" ad in the Johnson City Press-Chronicle.

Dec. 25, 1956: An article in the Johnson City Press-Chronicle noted that Lawrence G. Derthrick, the son of Dr. H.J. Derthrick, President Emeritus of Milligan College, was named as the new commissioner of the United States Office of Education.

Sources: The Comet; Johnson City Press-Chronicle

Recommended for You

    Johnson City Press Videos