Fire heavily damages east Johnson City house

David Floyd • Updated Jul 15, 2019 at 6:05 PM

An early Monday morning fire heavily damaged a house at 515 E. Myrtle Ave.

The fire, which was reported to Washington County 911 at 4:31 a.m., destroyed part of the roof of the building, charred the front porch and damaged other sections of the residence. All residents and pets made it out of the home safely, but the house is a total loss. Three permanent residents were displaced.

The house is adjacent to the Johnson City Juvenile Court offices.

Larry Nelson, the disaster program specialist for the Northeast Tennessee Chapter of the American Red Cross, said the organization has two volunteers onsite helping the victims of the house fire.

In a situation like this, Nelson said the Red Cross will provide “comfort kits” to each person, which includes toothbrush, toothpaste and other toiletries.

“Things that you don’t want to use after they’ve been exposed to the chemicals of a house fire,” Nelson said.

The organization issued a credit card to the family, which can be used to pay for immediate needs like food, clothing, hotel costs and lost medications. The amount of money on the card is dependent on the needs and size of the family.

The Red Cross will also evaluate the family’s situation, whether they have insurance or have another place they can stay, and guide them through the recovery process. The organization also has medical and mental health nurses available as needed.

A GoFundMe page created on Monday had raised about $1,600 for the family out of a fundraising goal of $5,000 by 4:40 p.m.

This story will be updated as more details become available.

Johnson City Press Videos