Man charged in South Roan Street robbery re-indicted in federal court

John Thompson • Jan 15, 2020 at 8:27 PM

GREENEVILLE — A Limestone man who is facing federal charges in the robbery of a Carter County convenience store last summer was re-indicted Tuesday in U.S. District Court.

In the superseding indictment, Marc Kristopher Skeen faces one count of robbery, one count of discharging a firearm during a crime of violence, and one count of being a convicted felon in possession of a firearm. These are the same counts on which Skeen was indicted Oct. 8. He was arrested on those charges Oct. 31.

Skeen is accused of robbing the Stop In Market, 3211 S. Roan St., Johnson City, on July 28. He is accused of firing into the convenience store with a Ruger 9 mm pistol and being in possession of the pistol even though the was a convicted felon. According to court records, Skeen was sentenced to five years in federal prison in 2011 after his arrest in Washington County on charges of aggravated assault and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. He was convicted of firing shots at someone at his home in 2009. Skeen was convicted of aggravated robbery on May 9, 2002, in Washington County.

During last summer’s standoff at the convenience store there were no reported injuries. It reportedly ended peacefully when Skeen released his hostage and surrendered to law enforcement officers.

In a court record, police reported they learned Skeen had driven up to the front door and fired several shots through his windshield and into the store. He then entered the store and pointed a pistol at the store clerk and held the clerk at gunpoint until police arrived.

One of the first police officers to arrive entered the store. Police said Skeen pointed his pistol at the officer, then ordered the officer to get out of the store or he would shoot the clerk. Skeen then pointed the pistol at the clerk’s head.

Police then surrounded the store, and Skeen laid on the floor with the hostage on top of him. Police also said Skeen was still pointing his pistol at the victim’s head, telling the clerk he/she would be killed if the police entered the store.

Hostage negotiators spoke with Skeen over the next several hours until he eventually surrendered.